CHANGES IN CONCENTRATION.

No one cause can be said to have led to the very striking change in the choice of concentration noted in another column. That 45 per cent of the present Senior class concentrated in the division of History, Government and Economics was due to the more practical training which this group appeared to offer. Since that time many men have been disilluzionized. It has been discovered that Economics is not necessarily of any greater practical value than English, for example. Group I now claims 47 per cent of the Freshman class, while Group III has dropped to 25 per cent. The great change here, however, cannot be attributed to careful thought and discussion. The inauguration of a general oral examination for all students accounts for it largely. We have a reminder of a fault still extant. Men, as ever, are looking toward the "cinch", and as long as there is so great a disparity in the work required by different courses, they will continue to be influenced in their choice by other considerations than educational value.