SCHOLARSHIP STANDARD HIGHER

Sophomores Led Other Classes in First Group During 1912-13.

The report of the Committee on Scholarships shows that a larger number of men won places in the First and Second Groups of Scholars in the academic year, 1912-13 than in 1911-12, and that the number of Sophomores far exceeded the Seniors and Juniors.

Fifty-two students won a place in the First Group of Scholars; of these eighteen received honorary scholarships; thirty-three, scholarships with stipend. In the academic year 1911-12 forty-eight students won a place in the First Group of Scholars; thirteen, including the holder of the Jacob Wendell Scholarship (given to the student most distinguished in the work of the Freshman year, irrespective of his financial need) received honorary scholarships; thirty-five, scholarships with stipend.

One hundred and sixty-two won places in the Second Group of Scholars: of these seventy-four held honorary scholarships; eighty-seven, scholarships, with stipend. On the work of the academic year 1911-12 one hundred and fifty-three won places in the Second Group of Scholars: sixty-nine holding honorary scholarships; eighty-four, scholarships with stipend.

The First Group of Scholars for the year 1913-14 is made up of eighteen Seniors, eighteen Juniors, fourteen Sophomores, and two candidates for degrees out of course. The Second Group is made up of fifty Seniors, forty-four Juniors, sixty-seven Sophomores, and one unclassified student. Compared by classes the Seniors hold in the two groups sixty-eight places; the Juniors sixty-two, and the Sophomores eighty-one.