PENN. CAUSES SECOND DEFEAT

BALL TEAM PLAYS VERY LOOSELY, SHOWING LITTLE OLD-TIME FORM.

Pennsylvania defeated the University baseball team on Saturday afternoon in a wretchedly played game on Franklin Field, Philadelphia. The score was 12 to 2 and marks the second defeat of the Harvard team this season.

It was a very easy victory for Pennsylvania owing to the wildness of both Hitchcock and Frye, who between them gave 11 bases on balls, and to the poor support which they received from the rest of the team. Penn had men on bases in every inning, due principally to passes, and this shows to some extent the strain under which the Harvard team played throughout the game. The fact that only two of Penn's 12 runs were earned indicates that Harvard did not play nearly so well as the previous games of the season should warrant.

Equal in Earned Runs.

On the other hand, the Penn. team supported Sayre admirably. In the matter of hits, there was little to choose between the teams--Pennsylvania getting eight and Harvard seven. Besides this, both of the University's runs were earned, this being the same number which Penn. earned. Clark and Minds shared the batting honors of the day, the former getting a home run and a single, and the latter two two-baggers and a triple. All of Minds's hits were made with men on bases, while no one was on when Clark made his drive over Minds's head for the circuit. Clark also contributed the fielding feature of the day--a wonderful stop of Sayre's drive between first and second in the eighth.

Penn. started things in the first. Mann drew a base on balls and Haley hit a hard one to Ayres who made a beautiful stop but threw the ball over Nash's head, Mann reaching third and Haley second on the play. Irwin then worked the squeeze play. Hitchcock muffing the ball and allowing Mann to score. Minds flied to Mahan and Irwin stole second. Williams bunted but Haley was caught at the plate, Hitchcock to Waterman. Schimpf was hit by a pitched ball but Irwin was caught between third and home, retiring the side.

Frye Replaces Hitchcock.

A base on balls, a three bagger by Minds, and another execution of the squeeze play gave Penn. two more in the third. Frye replaced Hitchcock in the fourth. Minds opened the inning with a double and was sent to third on Williams's out. Frye filled the bases by walking Schrimpf and Wallace. Schwert bunted to Frye, who held the ball, and Minds scored. Sayre popped to Frye and Mann hit a fly back of second base which slipped through Clark's fingers, and Schimpf and Wallace scored.

Penn. got four more in the sixth, due to three bases on balls, a hit and two errors. In the seventh, Haley went to first on Ayres's error, got to third when Minds hit his second two-bagger, and scored on Williams's out. Minds tallied on a wild pitch by Frye. This ended Penn's scoring.

Harvard's first run came in the fourth. Clark singled, and got to second on Nash's out. He scored when Ayres singled to left. The other run was contributed by Clark unassisted when he sent a beautiful drive over Minds's head in the sixth for a home run.

The summary:

HARVARD.  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Mahan, l.f.,  4  0  0  1  1  0Wingate, s.s.,  4  0  1  0  1  1Clark, 2b.,  4  2  2  0  3  2Nash, 1b.,  4  0  0  10  0  0Ayres, 3b.,  4  0  1  0  2  2Gannett, r.f.,  4  0  2  1  0  0Milholland, c.f.,  4  0  1  0  0  0Waterman, c.,  4  0  0  10  0  0Hitchcock, p.,  1  0  0  1  2  1Frye, p.,  1  0  0  1  2  0Totals,  34  2  7  24  11