FUTURE OPPONENTS WIN EASILY

Victories Largely Due to Forward Pass.--Yale Plans Uncertain.

Following are the results of games in which the teams on Harvard's schedule participated Saturday:

Springfield, 39; Worcester, 0.

Wash and Jeff., 26; Mt. Union, 2.

Tufts, 84; New Hampshire, 0.

Pennsylvania State, 13; Westminster, 0.

Michigan Seconds, 7; Michigan, 6.

Princeton, 12; Rutgers, 0.

Brown, 24; Norwich, 0.

Yale, 20; Maine, 0.

At the outset of the football season predictions as to the relative strength of the various elevens are legion, but very few certain conclusions can be drawn as to the prowess of any squad which has been on the gridiron but two weeks. Every team on Harvard's schedule--except Michigan, who lost to its second team by one point--met its first opponent of the season Saturday and won by a safe margin.

Yale's team showed surprisingly good form. It beat Maine, the eleven that held the Blue to a scoreless tie last year, by a score of 20 to 0. The Northerners seemed to have little power for concentrated attack and Yale was never in fear of inability to defend its goal. At New Haven, Hinkey, "the silent coach," seems to be developing a fast, shifty backfield and a sturdy line with a low charge. The work of the men behind the line featured Saturday's contest. Ainsworth and Knowles, the veteran halfbacks, and Wilson, last year's quarter, contribute experience and dependability to a backfield which has acquired increased efficiency through the addition of LeGore, the sensational player of last year's Freshman's team, who, at fullback has proved his value as a plunger, as a runner, and as a kicker. As to the tactics which Yale will adopt nothing is yet certain. Forward passes and delayed pass plays worked with a success more than pleasing to the Blue coaches.

Princeton Uses Open Play.

The new policy of open play adopted by Princeton certainly proved the change justifiable Saturday, when the Nassau eleven won, 12 to 0, over Rutgers. Rutgers was without the services of Flynn, the old Yale player. Concentrating the power of eleven tremendous men in the closest formations possible, the losers used plays the extreme opposite of Princeton's. Especially effective was Nassau's forward pass. Boland, the fullback, and Law, a substitute back, hurled the ball with accuracy and the men at the other end of the pass were always ready for it. Eighteen forward passes were attempted, of which half were successful. Drop-kicks by Tibbott also netted Princeton several points. The backfield showed up well, and Captain Ballin was preeminent among his staunch colleagues. The material, altogether, is very promising, for the coaches have a group of strong defensive players as well as some fast men on the wings for open play.

Tufts and New Hampshire used Princeton's and Rutgers' styles of play respectively. Forming in open plays with precision, the Medford college eleven shot throught the weak New Hampshire defence, rolling up 84 points and shutting out its opponents. Brown defeated Norwich easily, 24 to 0. Brown's gains were mostly outside of tackle, but the forward pass was used twice for long distances. Gordon, the newly-recruited half-back, played phenomenal football, scoring three goals from the field as well as doing good work in the defence. Washington and Jefferson, although victorious over Mount Union by a 26 to 2 score, gained ground with great difficulty, and disappointed the coaches.