NEW COURSES ON SOUTH AMERICA

Trade Possibilities in Light of Recent Events to be Studied.

Two elective courses of importance to students interested in Latin America are to be offered during the second half-year by the Department of History. In taking this step the University becomes the first school in the country to give comprehensive instruction on the economic condition of our southern neighbors, and on the possibilities for new trade with South America as a result of the present war in Europe. These courses have been made possible by the generous endowment for instruction in this field which was made past spring by an ananymous donor.

Dr. H. de Oliveira Lima, the distinguished Brazilian diplomat and author, will give a course to be known as History 56b. The lectures will come on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 12 o'clock, and will be supplemented by a section meeting for the third hour. This course will deal with Latin American history and diplomacy, with special reference to the events of the last two years. Dr. Lima will also offer and advanced course, History 201, which will be primarily for graduate students in this field.

In addition to these courses, Professor S. O. Martin will offer History 57b (second half-year) on the recent commercial history of Latin America. This course will be given on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 2.30 o'clock. The course will deal with the development of trade during the past ten years, and the present resources of the Latin American countries.

Mr. Julius Klein of the History Department will be in Harvard 2 tomorrow from 9.30 to 12 to give information regarding these courses