NINETEEN EIGHTEEN.

To the class of 1918 the CRIMSON extends heartiest greetings. No class has ever entered Harvard to enjoy as many privileges and responsibilities as the Freshman class of this year. Unity in fellowship, purpose, and achievement have been characteristics of former incoming classes, but only developed and brought to light after several years of life in the University. Opportunities unknown to preceding Freshman classes are now offered to the class of 1918 for attaining this unity in fellowship, purpose, and achievement before one year of College life has passed by. Therefore all those interested in the welfare of Harvard will watch closely and carefully the class's career.

There is nothing mysterious about attaining success; it is simply a question of the members of the incoming class entering heartily into the task of acquiring an education, and enlightening that by entering into some branch of the various activities to be found here; and pursuing the work until something has been achieved for yourselves, your class and for Harvard. This community lays stress upon work well done, whether it is on the football field on in the classroom. The men who become-dissatisfied with their College careers in their Senior year are generally those who cannot look back upon tasks well performed.

In one's haste to avail himself of the opportunities for success at Harvard, several important items are apt to be overlooked. To the class of 1918 we say, therefore, that all roads to success here are barred if you fail to keep in good standing with the College Office. Acquire that and keep it and you are free to enjoy the responsibilities which appeal to you.

In the confines of the new dormitories "class politics" are likely to be rife. Good fellowship and activity should steer one clear of selfish aims and motives. Create good fellowship among yourselves and do not lay too much emphasis upon making a "club". The latter now belongs in a sphere entirely outside of the life of a first year man. True success is a life well lived and tasks well done. We are looking to the members of the class of 1918 to enter into life here determined to make their class the best that has ever come to Harvard.