CHESS TITLE GOES TO COLUMBIA

Princeton Second and University Third in Annual Tournament.

Columbia won the annual tournament of the Quadrangular Chess League which was held at the Murray Hill Hotel, New York City of, December 28, 29 and 30. Columbia had ten wins to its credit with only two losses. Princeton was second with five wins, one draw and six losses. Harvard third with four wins, two draws, and six losses, and Yale last with two wins, three draws and seven losses. Mandell and Kargus of Columbia were the stars of the tournament, each having a clean slate of three wins. A. S. Ellenberger uC. and Carter of Princeton each won twice and drew once.

On the first day the University defeated Princeton 2 1-2 to 1 1-2, R. Johnson '16 and A. S. Ellenberger uC. winning, and D. M. Beers '15 drawing. Columbia beat Yale 4 to 0. On December 29, Yale beat the University 2 1-2 to 1 1-2, Beers, Ellenberger and Johnson all drawing their boards. Columbia beat Princeton 3 to 1. On the last day of the tournament, the University team lost to Columbia 3 to 1, Ellenberger winning his match. Princeton defeated Yale 3 to 1. The Harvard team was composed of D. M. Beers '15, captain, A. B. Bruce '15, A. S. Ellenberger uC and R. Johnson '16.