EXPERT MEDICAL EDUCATION PLANNED FOR CHINA

Rockefeller Foundation Completes Five Months investigation in Orient.

China has in prospect the most thoroughly scientific medical education in the world if the plans of the China Medical Board of the Rockefeller Foundation, outlined in the third part of the annual report of the Foundation, just made public, are realized. This conclusion is reached from the results of four months' observation of the needs of China by a commission composed of Harry Pratt Judson, president of the University of Chicago; Roger S. Greene, United States Consul General at Hankow; and Francis W. Peabody of the Harvard Medical School.

This commission met in Pekin about May 1, 1914, and spent the next four months in a thorough study of existing medical schools, hospitals, and dispensaries in China, and in conference with missionaries, government officials and other competent advisers in regard to the best means of re-enforcing and adding to the important work already done in the field of medical education and public health. A fifth month was devoted to the preparation of an elaborate report of the observations, findings and recommendations of the commission.

The establishment of the China Medical Board was the result of the commission's report. Dr. Wallace Buttrick, executive secretary of the General Education Board, was appointed director of the board and Roger S. Greene was appointed resident director in China. The president of the Foundation was elected chairman of the board, and Dr. Eben C. Sage, secretary.