DISCUSSION OF SUFFRAGE.

The perennial issue of equal suffrage is now being discussed with unequaled vigor. The ballot has been gradually extended to a majority of western states and to one state east of the Mississippi. The President of the republic and a former President has declared in favor of its extension to all women; and the question is to be settled, temporarily if in the negative, permanently if in the affirmative, in several more states, including Massachusetts, on November 2. There are many persons, whether in favor of or opposed to the movement, who believe that equal suffrage is inevitably coming; and certainly ground once gained by the suffragists is never lost.

Opinion in the University is, of course, divided. Members of the Faculty have written and spoken upon both sides. Among undergraduates, however, there is a great deal of unthinking talk; especially is there a tendency for students to declare themselves opposed to it as a matter of course. Some men in the University will vote on the question; all are or should be interested in it. Believing that intelligent discussion will be profitable, and since the public forums will not begin until the day for voting is past, the CRIMSON invites communications on the subject.