YESTERDAY'S SCRIMMAGE RAGGED

Substitutes Showed Lack of Team-Play Against Seconds.

Although a few of the regulars got into the 40-minute scrimmage with the seconds, most of the University men were given a further rest in yesterday's workout in the Stadium. The greater part of the men who faced Princeton on Saturday had a short practice in punting, passing, and charging, and wound up their afternoon with a snappy signal drill.

The start of the scrimmage found Team B of the University squad opposing Team B of the seconds, and in the 40 minutes of hard but ragged struggle which ensued, the Crimson eleven scored 18 points. The wide difference in score, however, is not indicative of the difference between the two teams, for each of the three touchdowns made was the result of individual play. Three times the seconds' substitutes held their opponents within their 10-yard line. The first of the scores tallied came when the University forwards broke through and forced Gardner to fumble on his attempt to kick out of danger, Caner falling on the ball as it rolled over the goal-line. Nelson made the second touchdown after intercepting a forward pass on the seconds' 35-yard line, and the third came when Willcox got loose on an end-run, dodging down the field for 55 yards.

The showing made by the University first-string substitutes was rather discouraging, for they failed to get together against their much weaker rivals, and from their generally ragged play, it would seem that the University team would be in serious straits in case of an injury. The work of the regulars for the rest of this week, at least, promises to be very light, for at this stage of, the eleven's development no chances of a loss through injury will be taken.

Team B lined up as follows: L. Curtis, l.e.; R. C. Curtis, l.t.; Duncan, l.g.; Harris, Wallace, c.; Cowen, r.g., Caner, r.t.; Weatherhead, Harte, r.e.; Robinson, q.; McKinlock, l.h.b.; Whitney, r.h.b.; Enwright, f.b.