CRAIG PLAY PRIZE WON BY RADCLIFFE GRADUATE

Mrs. Chorpenning's Comedy, "Between the Lines" Awarded This Year's Title.

This year the Craig Prize, offered by Mr. John Craig, of the Castle Square Theatre, for the best play submitted by students of the University and Radcliffe, has been awarded to Mrs. Charlotte Barrows Chorpenning, of Winona, Minnesota, for a comedy of three acts, with prologue and epilogue, entitled "Between the Lines." Mrs. Chorpenning's play was given honorable mention in the Craig competition last year. She has been a graduate student in Radcliffe for the past two years, taking both Professor Baker's English 47 and 47a.

Under the conditions of the competition, the sum of $250 of the $500 offered is paid to the University Library to be used in the purchase of books on the drama, and the remainder is given to the successful author. Mr. Craig also guarantees a production of the winning play at the Castle Square Theatre. The present play will be produced some time near the end of December.

"Between the Lines" was given a trial performance last spring in the 47 Workshop which chose it as the last production of the season. The efficacy of the Workshop as a laboratory theatre is illustrated in the case of this play, for faults which came out as a result of production and criticisms of the Workshop audience have been remedied in the present version.

The play is really a group of three one-act pieces, with a prologue and an epilogue. It follows the fortunes of three children who have left home to pursue their individual fortunes, and is a clever portrayal of the powerful influence on them of their parents. The dialogue of the prologue takes the spectator directly to the scenes of the intervening acts, and the epilogue picks the action up exactly where the prologue leaves off. Though similar in construction, it is an entirely different type of play than the Craig Prize Plays of the last two years. "Believe Me, Xantippe," by J. F. Ballard, now running in England under the title of "Willie Goes West," and Cleaves Kinkead's "Common Clay," now featuring Jane Cowl and John Mason in New York.