THE SUMMER CAMP.

If such a military department were instituted in the University, there would still be lacking the means of teaching a man the fundamentals of a military training. A summer military camp such as those at Plattsburg would fit in well with the rest of the year's theorizing. Even a camp under the supervision of the University, but conducted by army officers, might be arranged. Whether this part of the program worked out successfully or not is of small consequence. The important fact is that a four years study of military history and modern warfare as a background, with concentration in some particular field such as transportation, explosives, or finance, would turn out a group of military specialists. These men would prove invaluable to the country in time of war. The proof of this is England's condition today. One of her chief difficulties is a lack of technical experts to direct her fast increasing forces. With such a terrible example before our eyes, we indeed are foolish not to insure ourselves against a similar disaster by immediate action towards preparedness.