COLLEGE CREWS HOPE TO HOLD CHAMPIONSHIP REGATTA

Rowing Association Discussed Preliminary Plans for Standardization of Races.

The second annual meeting of the American Intercollegiate Rowing Association was held at the Yale Club of New York last Friday. Representatives of Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, the United States Naval Academy, Pennsylvania, Princeton, and Yale were present. Plans for a regatta which would bring all the first crews of the eastern colleges together in a single series of races, similar to the English Henley, were discussed.

The object of the association is to simplify the present system of races under which the college crews do not compete in any definite plan, and which makes it difficult to determine where the rowing championship belongs. At present many colleges send their second crews to the American Henley at Philadelphia, but owing to the fact that they would meet many colleges again in later races, are unwilling to send their first crews. It is hoped that some year it will be possible to arrange a single series of races coming late in the spring, which would take the place of many of the individual races held between different colleges at that time. This would also standardize the length of official races for the American championship.

The following officers of the association were elected for the present year: A. M. Butler '16, manager of the Princeton crew, president, to succeed D. C. Elkin '16, manager of the Yale crew; and S. M. Felton, Jr., '16, manager of the University crew, secretary.