ONLY FOUR REGULARS TO RETURN FOR 1916 TEAM

Material, However, Just as Promising as That Which Reported Last September.

The chief problem of the University's 1916 football team is not the material, but the coach. If Coach Haughton returns, he will have an abundance of good material to work with.

With sixteen men from the squad graduating, and only four regulars returning, there will be several new players on the eleven next fall. In all, eight "H" men return to College, but Harte, Boles, Dadmun and Gilman will be the only regulars from the 1915 team to fill their old positions; although Taylor was practically a regular, and of these, Gilman is the only man who has had more than one season of University training.

The backfield will be the greatest problem, for the loss of Mahan, Watson and King will be greatly felt. W. F. Robinson '18 should prove competent in the quarterback position, as he has shown up exceedingly well as much as he has played this fall. W. J. Murray '18, A. W. Gardner '18 and Murray Taylor '18, from this year's second team, will be dependable substitutes.

Boles will return for one of the backfield positions. The leading candidates for the other two positions will be R. Horween '18, W. Willcox, Jr., '17, T. H. Enwright '18 and T. C. Thacher '18, of this year's squad, H. W. Minot '17 from the second team, and several backs of unusual promise from the 1919 eleven, H. C. Flower, E. L. Casey, R. Bond and G. L. Batchelder. Horween is an excellent line plunger and punter, although he lacks experience. Minot is the nearest approach to Mahan in open field work, and is strong and heavy. Willcox has been used at quarterback, but on account of his consistent weakness in handling punts, he will probably be tried at halfback. Enwright, captain of the 1918 Freshman team, is a powerful man on both the offense and defense. Thacher was out of the game most of the past season, but he also played well on the 1918 team.

Harte will return for the right end position, and J. K. Desmond, who is unclassified this year, and C. A. Coolidge Jr., '17, both experienced players, will probably cover the other wing. Gilman, the most experienced man on the squad will take his old position at left tackle, but he is the only veteran tackle to return. G. C. Caner '17 will be the leading candidate for Parson's place on the opposite side of the line, with W. Davis '18 and W. H. Wheeler '18, who did not play this year, and B. Lancaster '18, of the second team close behind him. None of these men, however, have had much experience. Taylor and Dadmun, both veterans from the past season, will be able to take care of the guard positions, with D. Duncan '17, P. Zach '19, W. Burr '18 and W. B. Snow '18 as strong substitutes. If Zach develops as his work on the Freshman eleven this fall indicated, he may be used as a regular guard, and Taylor shifted to his old place at centre. J. C. Harris '17, who won his "H" this year, and G. A. Sagar '17 are also good centres. The 1919 team and this year's second squad will furnish a number of good substitutes for all the line positions.

The forward line, then, seems to be fairly well cared for. To develop a backfield equal to Captain Mahan's will be somewhat more of a task. If the new material produces a strong running combination, a punter who can rival Mahan is yet to be found. Horween, Enwright and Robinson are good punters; and Robinson is also an excellent drop-kicker; but none of them have the power of the 1915 captain