JAPANESE STUDENTS COMING TO THIS COUNTRY AFTER WAR

America Will Get Those Who Study Literature in France and Science in Germany.

That hundreds of Japanese students formerly attending universities in Germany and France will come to this country at the close of the war was the conviction expressed by Toyohiko Kagawa a graduate student of Princeton, who has studied the question carefully.

There are at present 576 Japanese students in this country, enrolled in 168 colleges and universities. Of this number, less than 50 are government students. The majority of Japanese government students have been sent to Germany, although there is also-a large number in France. Before the war there were about 660 in Germany, and almost as many in France. When the war is over, Japan will naturally not go to Germany, and France will be unable to receive many; consequently, these students will come to the United States.

In previous years, the principal inducement to come to American universities was to study engineering, which is taught more thoroughly here than in Europe. To learn the sciences, including medicine, Japanese went to Germany; to pursue literary studies, to France. The English universities, Oxford and Cambridge, attracted only sons of the wealthy classes.

The Japanese government is now investigating American medical schools, so that students in this department will very likely be sent here in the future. As for the students that come over independently, many choose the United States because it affords opportunities for self-support that are available nowhere else. For, with the exception of the government students and those who are unusually well-to-do, the resources of the average Japanese young man are not great. The government of Japan spends only a hundred thousand dollars yearly for the support of students, which is given to the ablest alone.

In spite of the fact that men go away to study, Japan is well supplied with modern universities and colleges. There are 5 large and 94 lesser institutions, modeled on the German plan. In Tokio alone there are 112,000 students enrolled in the University of Tokio and in six smaller colleges.

Although the University of Tokio spends as much yearly as do the Universities of Berlin and Oxford, and maintains practically the same faculty and equipment as American universities, nevertheless the tuition is practically nothing. A Japanese student can go through college for about a hundred dollars a year.

The majority of those who go abroad to study have already completed their undergraduate work, and intend to complete their education here with graduate work in one of the large universities. The bulk of the men who will come to this country after the war will go to such institutions as Columbia, Harvard, and the University of Chicago.

The entire educational system in Japan is controlled by the government, as in Germany. The schools are conducted on a very efficient basis, so that 98 per cent. of the children attend; but the percentage in the higher institutions is not as great as in America. Before the student goes to the university, he has several years of work which corresponds to the undergraduate work of this country. At the universities only the degree of M.A., without the intermediate one of A.B., is conferred.