UNIVERSITY OFFERS PRIZES ON WIDE RANGE OF SUBJECTS

Many Diverse Rewards Adapted to Undergraduate and Graduate Abilities.

Below is printed a partial list of rewards and prizes offered to undergraduates and graduates by the University. Each prize has, as a rule, a different set of conditions and requirements so that any one can find a goal for his special ability.

Bowdoin and Boylston Prizes.

The Bowdoin prizes are awarded for dissertations in English and in Greek and Latin. Three prizes, a first prize of $250 and two second prizes of $100, are offered to any undergraduate for essays in English on any subject. In addition, two prizes of $50 each are offered for translations into Attic Greek and into Latin of set passages. All manuscripts must be handed in to the Secretary of the Faculty, 20 University Hall, on or before April 1, 1916. The Boylston Prizes for Elocution, two of $30 each and three of $20, are awarded to Juniors and Seniors in Harvard-College at a public competition to be held this year on May 11, 1916. The students speak, not their own compositions, but selections from English, Greek, or Latin authors; the proportion in English to be at least two out of three. The selections must be approved by the Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory before the competition.

Part of the income of one of the many bequests made by Edward Hopkins, a former governor of Connecticut, to the educational institutions of New England is used in the purchase of books called Deturs for meritorious students in Harvard College.

Other Awards from Bequests.

Among the other prizes offered by the University through its bequests are the following:--

The Pasteur Medal is awarded to the successful contestant in an annual debate on a subject drawn from contemporary French politics, the debate to be conducted in English. The administration of the prize is entirely in the hands of the Department of French. Due notice will be given of the time of the debate and the rules governing it.

The Dante Prize of $100 is awarded the best essay by any undergraduate in the United States, or by a graduate of not more than three years' standing, on a subject drawn from the Life or Works of Dante. It closes on May 1, 1916.

The Sargent Prize of $100 is offered for the best material translation of a lyric poem by Horace, to be selected each year by the Department of Classics. It closes on May 1.

The George B. Sohier Prize is an award of $250 for the best thesis by a successful candidate for Honors in English or in Modern Literature who must be either in Harvard College, Radcliffe College, or a University graduate in the Graduate School.

The Philip Washburn Prize of $75 is offered for the best thesis, of sufficient merit, on an historical subject presented by a successful candidate for the degree of A.B. with Distinction in the Division of History, Government, and Economics, whose main work is in History.

Prize for Universal Peace Essay.

An annual prize of $100, called the Sumner Prize, is offered for the best dissertation on a subject connected with the topic of universal peace and the methods by which war may be permanently superceded. A knowledge of international law is necessary. This competition closes May 1, 1916.

The Bennet Prize of $40 is offered for the best essay in English prose on some subject of American governmental, domestic, or foreign policy of contemporaneous interest, and is open only to Seniors or third or fourth year Special Students who have taken courses in Political Science.

The Lloyd McKim Garrison Prize consists of $100 and a silver medal for the best poem on a subject chosen by the Department of English