STATECRAFT.

Politics, as Mr. Frothingham points out in another column, is coming more and more to be looked upon as a fit business for college men. This is due to two factors. The economics and political science faculties of our universities have for years been graduating men with idealistic plans for improving social conditions. And the example of successful scholar-politicians, such as Lodge, Root, and Wilson has inspired other educated men to look to public life for careers.

This is as it should be. It has long been so in England. The salvation of our country must be worked out by men with training and a broader view. On the other hand, in this age of democracy no man can become truly, educated who has not at least a live interest in political issues. Every man, and, a-fortiori, every college man, should be at least an amateur politician.

Nor should the prospective business or professional man be content to leave active politics to lawyers. Modern public life has in it many men who are not of the legal profession; politics profits by the participation of men of varied points of view. And as regards training, it may again be emphasized that not special subjects so much as a general grasp of life problems and the power to think are the requisites. Good work in almost any department will develop them.