YALE MEETING VOTED AMENDMENT

Athletic Constitution Relative to Managerships Much Changed.

New Haven, Conn., Dec. 8, 1915.--At a mass meeting of the entire university tonight the proposed amendment to the constitution of the Athletic Association relative to the appointment of managers was unanimously passed.

The new ruling reads as follows: "The Second Assistant Managers of the football team shall be elected on the second Monday of October in each year and the Second Assistants for the baseball and track team and crew shall be elected the first week after the Christmas vacation of each year."

The matter was brought forward early in the week when a petition signed by twenty-five members of the Sheffield Student Council, appeared in the Yale News, which is the regular way of setting the legislative machinery in motion in regard to athletic association business. A mass meeting was set for Wednesday night when the whole student body would vote on the question, a two-thirds majority being necessary to make it effective. This was done tonight when the assembly unanimously expressed its approval of the measure.

The question involves the whole system of appointment of managers for all the major sport athletic teams. Hitherto the second assistant managers of the baseball and track teams and for the crew have been elected in the spring of each year. Since the Freshmen are taken into most of the fraternities in February, the different societies had grown accustomed to undertake a vigorous campaign to secure the election of their own members. Naturally this led to many abuses and it is to put an end to these, that the new amendment has been formulated.

In the future the election of these men will take place a week after the Christmas recess, or almost a month before the fraternity initiations come. In this way it is hoped that the second assistants, will be chosen more on their own merits and less as the result of club affiliations.

R. H. Chittenden, Director of the Sheffield Scientific School expressed his approval of the plan as follows:

"I approve of the proposed change of the date of the election of the second assistant managers of the major sports, for several reasons, in that it gives a promise of being more satisfactory than the present plan. The men selected should certainly be men having the necessary qualifications for success in their managerial offices; and in addition should have such scholastic standing that they will be able to hold their positions throughout their college course."

The election of managers of athletic teams differs markedly from that in vogue in the University. The fact that candidates from both Yale College and Sheffield School are eligible makes the situation a little involved from the first. To insure that both institutions are represented, each elects one Freshman to compete for the assistant managership. These two men do the work, which the general competition in the University accomplishes. From these two men the assistant manager is chosen.

The unanimity shown at the meeting tonight, is keen indication that popular sentiment is strongly in favor of absolute clarity in the management of athletics in general, which presages well for the future of sport at New Haven