THE MENTALLY APATHETIC.

Repeatedly the CRIMSON has called attention to the intellectual indifference shown by members of the University to the opportunities that abound in Cambridge and Boston. It is time that at Harvard every man is free to "work out his own salvation" in his own way, and he must, obviously, be permitted to have full intellectual freedom. If art or opera bore him, it is his privilege to eschew them. No one gainsays that.

But there are many men who neglect cultural opportunities, not because of any real aversion, but because of apathy. They are intellectual sticks-in-the-mud. They prefer bridge to the Symphony; they limit their talk to common-places on shop, sport and sex--all because it's the line of least resistance. They are cerebrally obese.

Such men can joint themselves out of their easy-chair, indifferent attitude toward the better things in life, in many ways. The exhibits of Italian paintings in Fogg Art Museum, announced in today's CRIMSON, is a typical example of the opportunities these men are missing. If they went to the exhibit they'd enjoy it; but they won't go because it never occurs to them that such exhibits are meant for them. Theirs is the most pernicious sort of indifference.