GIFTS AWARDED TO UNIVERSITY

Appointments Made.--Prize Winners Announced.--Geology Camp.

The University has received a sum of money through the generosity of Dr. F. H. Wade, of Cambridge, to establish the Lee wade, 2d, Prizes, in memory of Lee Wade, 2d, '14, of West Chatham, who died shortly after graduation. The three prizes, $25, $15, and $10, respectively, will be competed for annually by members of the Sophomore, Junior, and Senior classes, and will be awarded, in the order chosen, to the students who shall have best recited a given selection of poetry or prose. There will be a competition, which will be open to the public, held in February or March of each year. The selection to be presented and the award of prizes will be made by Dr. and Mrs. Wade during their life. Upon their death, this will be done by the President of Harvard University or his representative.

Resignations and Appointments.

At the meeting of the President and Fellows of Harvard College, February 23, 1915, the resignations of Frederick Ray as Assistant in Astronomy, and of W. E. Boardman, D.M.D., Librarian of the Dental School and Curator of the Dental Museum were accepted. The following appointments were made:

Harold D. Fish as Assistant in Zoology.

Professor A. C. Coolidge, Ph.D., as Syndic of the University Press.

Dean W. M. Wheeler, Ph.D., as a member of the Committee on General Scholarships and Sheldon Fellowships.

Professor Leon Dupriez, who has recently come to the University, from Louvain University, was appointed the Godkin Lecturer.

Awarde to University Men.

M. J. Meyer '18, of Gardner, has been awarded the Scholarship of the Harvard Club of Fitchburg.

The David A. Wells Prize in Economics for the year 1914-15 has been awarded to Dr. L. M. Bristol, Ph.D., 1913, of West Somerville, for his thesis entitled, "The Development of the Doctrine of Adaptation as a Theory of Social Progress."

The Ames Prize, awarded every four years for the most meritorious law book on legal essay written in the English language, published not less than one or more than five years before the award, was assigned to S. C. Wiel, LL.B., 1903, of San Francisco, for his work on "Water Rights in the Western States."

Gift to Fogg Art Museum.

A gift of $2,500 for the purchase of works of art for the Fogg Art Museum, and another of $3005 from various donors for the Arnold Arboretum, were received.

Mountain Camp for Geologists.

The field work conducted by the Department of Geology and Geography of the University will be extended this summer. At a meeting of the members of the staff held January 30, it was planned to establish a camp in the San Juan Mountains of southwestern Colorado. Here a five-week course of geological survey work will be conducted, under the direction of Professor W. W. Atwood, Ph.D. The work will commence early in August and close on September 10. This course, open only to a limited number of those who have had at least an introductory college course in Geology, will be credited towards a degree. Since the equipment of the camp will be provided for by funds furnished by the Visiting Committee of the Department, each student will be required to furnish only his share of actual living and moving expenses associated with the camp, probably not more than one hundred dollars.

In addition, the usual field work in Montana conducted under the endowment of R. W. Sayles and under the direction of Assistant Professor J. R. Woodworth, S.B., will be offered this summer. To permit those who wish to join the Colorado party, the work will begin early in July and close early in August.