SPEAKERS FOR PHI BETA KAPPA

James Ford Rhodes and Alfred Noyes Chosen for Spring Meeting.

The speakers for Phi Beta Kappa Day, June 21, will be James Ford Rhodes, LL.D., Litt.D., and Alfred Noyes, Litt.D. The society is to be congratulated on having secured two so distinguished men as successors to the eminent orators and poets who have spoken under its auspices in the past.

Mr. Rhodes, who will deliver the oration, studied at various American and foreign universities between 1865 and 1870, when he entered business. In 1885 he retired, in order to devote himself to a literary life. His greatest work, finished in 1906, is a history of the United States from 1850 to 1877. More recently, he has published a series of lectures delivered at Oxford in 1913 on the American Civil War, and a volume of Historical Essays. His high scholarship has been everywhere admitted, and several universities, including Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Oxford, have conferred degrees upon him. He has received honors from several foreign and American academies and associations.

Mr. Noyes is well known at Harvard, where, two years ago, he delivered a series of Lowell Institute Lectures, and gave several readings. At Princeton, his readings and lectures gained him such popularity that he was offered a professorship, which he now holds. His works, "Collected Poems," "Tales of a Mermaid Tavern," "The Wine Press," and "Rada," need no introduction to our readers.