ON STARRED COURSES AGAIN.

In this issue appears a letter from Mr. J. S. Davis in replay to Saturday's editorial, "Restricting choice of courses." If the CRIMSON was misinformed as to the method of admitting students to Economics 1b, the misunderstanding was general, and Professor Davis, is to be thanked for clearing it up. The editorial in question, however, was not aimed at Economics 1b alone, but at all courses to which entrance is hampered by obscure restrictions. The arguments were that it is unwise to limit membership at all in courses of general value; and that if restriction is unavoidable, the grounds on which it will be made should be clearly stated ahead of time in the catalogue.

As to the first point, Professor Davis has explained that limitation is this year necessary in Economics 1b. As to the second, however, the original objection remains. In the case of Economics 1b, would it be too much to ask that some such line as the following be inserted in the catalogue: "Those who do not obtain a grade of B in Economics A, or honors in at least one other Economics course, may not be admitted." If it is uncertain who will be barred from Mr. Davis's course, it is at least certain--as explained in the letter--that some have done a grade of work "which unquestionably warrants their admission." This is undoubtedly a common situation, and one which can be foreseen.

If, in other cases, instructors cannot determine well in advance just whom they will bar they can at least indicate that a certain class need not fear rejection. Then those who desire to take any given course can make sure that they will not be disappointed at the last minute. The present elective system requires much looking ahead. If we are to lay plans with certainty, we must know what to plan on. The catalogue "star" is an antiquated dovice which often results in both misunderstanding and hard feeling. Its meaning is obscure, leaving everything to the eleventh hour discretion of the instructor,--often to the eleventh hour discomfiture of the student.