No Reason for Armament.

Communication

(We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest, but assume no responsibility for sentiments expressed under this head.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

My attention has been called to an item in your issue of March 4, under the caption, "Speaker Urged Stronger Armament." This proves to be a report of my discussion of the Armament question at the Harvard Union on March 3. What I did in fact urge was that there is not the least reason for increasing armaments. The present war is, in my opinion, the outcome of the long series of conflicts of interest attending the era of colonial expansion, now practically closed. We never had a serious conflict of interest in this field, and consequently were not menaced by any other power, before the war. We have even less reason to fear the hostility of any other power, now that the states that might possibly come into conflict with us are being exhausted by war. Consequently there is no rational ground for increase in armaments at this time.

I did, indeed, make the qualification that, if ever we do find our vital interests in conflict with those of another nation, and find that that nation is deliberately preparing for hostilities with us, it will be our duty to provide ourselves with such armaments as may be required, at whatever cost. I assume that your reporter based his account of my view upon this qualification, which is, of course purely academic, so far as the present situation is concerned.  ALVIN S. JOHNSON.