CAMBRIDGE SUBWAY EXTENDED

OPEN TO WASHINGTON ST. SOON.--TO BE COMPLETED IN ABOUT A YEAR.

The extension of the Cambridge subway will be opened as far as Washington street within a month. Work was begun on it in the spring of 1912 and has been progressing steadily ever since. The extension, which will eventually be continued as far as Andrew square, Dorchester, will be a great convenience in going from Harvard square to the South Station.

On leaving Park street the tunnel runs down Winter street, passing under the Washington street tunnel. This necessitates a very deep excavation, the floor of the line being 42 feet below the surface of the street. There will be a station under Summer street, extending from Hawley to Arch, with a passage leading to the Washington street tunnel station, allowing transfers in either direction.

The next station is in the square directly in front of the South Terminal. It has not been finished yet.

Turning south the line tunnels for several blocks beneath the middle of the Fort Point Channel, with a station at South Boston, and continues to its terminus in Andrew square, nearly two miles from Park street.

The trip from Harvard square to the South Station will be accomplished in from 12 to 15 minutes, a saving of nearly one-half over the present system. It is expected that the tunnel will be completed and service established to this point in about a year.