CONTEST AT FENWAY OPENS 1915 SEASON

University Faces World's Champions.--Defeated Pilgrims in Practice, 9 to 4, Saturday.

The 1915 season of the University baseball club, unofficially ushered in by Saturday's 9 to 4 victory over the Pilgrims, will have its real opening this afternoon at 3 o'clock, when the champion Braves will be met at Fenway Park.

Tickets at 25 cents to $1.50 each for the game this afternoon may be obtained at Filene's, Boston, or at the gate.

Fresh from their spring training in the South, the Braves present an even stronger machine than that which over whelmed the Athletics last October. Aside from their recent defeats in Washington, their early season has been most successful, and the occasion of their first appearance in Boston today should prompt Manager Stallings to present a formidable line-up.

The University nine has to date had a rather luckless career, unfavorable weather having kept the daily work-out indoors, much of the time, and the strength of the team has been greatly lessened by the absence of Captain Ayres and the recently announced ineligibility of J. A. Gilman, Jr., '16, who was considered one of the most promising of Coach Sexton's squad of pitchers.

Infield Presents Problem.

The most critical condition exists in the infield. With S. P. Clark '14 and D. J. P. Wingate '14 graduated, and with Captain Ayres out of the game, H. L. Nash '16 at first base remains as the only veteran. The 1917 Freshman team has thus far filled two of the gaps, and at present the positions seem settled, for C. S. Reed '17 at shortstop and G. E. Abbot '17 at second have both been performing creditably, being fast fielders and fair hitters, but at third there still remains a serious problem. F. G. Fripp '16 has been playing that position, but his hitting has been on the whole mediocre, and some shift seems likely. The outfield should present a trio of hardhitters, and two of the places seem permanently fixed, with H. R. Hardwick '15 at his old position in left field and R. T. Gannett '15 in right. At centre, J. P. Coolidge '16 and C. E. Brickley '15 have been fighting it out, with the advantage probably with the latter, but on account of their hitting power, pitchers E. W. Mahan '16 and R. B. Frye '15 may at any time displace the regular fielding candidates. Behind the bat, J. B. Waterman '15 seems to be the favorite, for his steadiness and experience thus far have overshadowed the superior batting eye and stronger throwing arm of R. Harte '17.

The pitchers for today's game have not yet been decided upon, but it is likely that Stallings will pick one of his veterans, as James, Tyler, and Rudolph have not worked for some time, and Coach Sexton has announced that the man to start in the box for the University will be picked from three men, Frye, Willcox, and Mahan.

Ten Hits Against Pilgrims.

The University baseball team defeated the Pilgrims, at team of graduates and professionals, by the score of 9 to 4 at Soldiers Field Saturday. The University players secured 10 hits and made only three errors, while the Pilgrims tallied up eight hits and five errors. Reed at shortstop for the University starred at the bat and performed brilliantly in fielding along with Abbot at second, the two making a pretty double play in the sixth inning.

G. A. Davis, Jr., 2L., of the Braves, famous for his no-hit game against Philadelphia last September, showed particularly fine pitching for the Pilgrims when he held the University scoreless for four innings. Mahan started in the box for the University and went three innings in excellent form, striking out five, and allowing one scratch single. He was succeeded by Frye for four innings, who was not quite so successful. Whitney and Garritt also pitched an inning each.

Eight Runs in Three Innings.

The University scored eight of its runs in the first three innings before the older men could get settled down. A home run, by Gannett following an infield single and a steal by Reed counted two runs in the first, while three consecutive errors followed by three safe hits tallied four more runs in the second. In the third Davis replaced Bidwell, but two more runs were secured before the Pilgrims steadied. In the eighth Whitney laid down a perfect bunt, and brought Fripp home for the final University score.

The Pilgrims scored one in the third and fifth innings and two in the eighth, when the University players slacked up their pace a little.

The summary:

Earned runs--Harvard, 5; Pilgrims 2. Sacrifice hit--Fripp. Stolen bases--Reed, Nash. Three-base hits--Lonergan, Babson. Home-runs--Gannett, Reeves. Bases on balls--Off Davis 1, off Martin 1, off Whitney 1. Left on bases--Harvard 6, Pilgrims 5. Struck out--By Mahan 5, by Frye 2, by Davis 2, by Garritt 1. Double plays--Reed to Abbot to Nash. Passed ball--Waterman. Wild pitch--Whitney. Time--2 hours, 30 minutes, Umpire--Grimes.

Batting Order.HARVARD.  BRAVES.Nash, 1b.  r.f., MoranReed, s.s.  2b., EversAbbot, 2b.  l.f., ConnollyGannett, r.f.  c.f., GilbertHardwick, l.f.  1b., SchmidtBrickley, c.f.  3b., SmithFripp, 3b.  s.s., MaranvilleWaterman, c.  c., GowdyFrye, Mahan, or Willcox, p.  p., James, Rudolph, or Tyle