AN INCREASED TUITION FEE.

The conditions brought to light by the report of the Faculty Committee on the tuition fee make evident the necessity of some drastic change in the finances of the University. The committee reports that for the last six years the annual expenditure has exceeded the income by about $43,000. Until now, this has been met from the unrestricted funds. Obviously this process cannot continue indefinitely. For this situation, there are three solutions. Either large gifts must be secured promptly, or the equipment of the University must be cut down, or the tuition fee must be raised. No one, upon serious consideration will contend that the $3,000,000 deemed necessary by the committee, can be secured with any promptness. Gifts will no doubt continue as in the past, but the income from them is needed to meet the normal demands of the University and it is unwise to depend solely on gifts.

The most serious objections to the raise in the tuition fee have been based upon a plea for curtailing expenses, particularly in the Graduate School. It is claimed that this department will receive by far the greater benefit from the increase. Examination of the facts will show that this is not the case. Princeton and Yale both have much lower fees for their graduate schools than for the college. Harvard alone charges a uniform fee. Yet the benefits undergraduates derive from the Graduate School are apparent enough. They take part in a large number of graduate courses; they receive a quality of instruction which they certainly would not enjoy if the Graduate School did not exist.

Another argument advanced against the raise is that Harvard must be in a position to compete against the large and growing state universities. Yet this is really a strong argument in favor of the raise. The only grounds on which the University can hold its own against these institutions is in the quality of instruction. Against their low prices and state support, the University must oppose at least an equally good equipment and a more capable faculty. To bring this about, a raise in the tuition fee seems the only solution.