WELL KNOWN PRODUCER HERE

Professor Richard Ordynski In Charge of Three Plays to be Produced by Dramatic Club.

Among the well-known men of the European stage whom the present war has forced to come to America, is Professor Richard Ordynski, who is at present in charge of the spring production of the Dramatic Club. His coming to Cambridge is a noteworthy event, as he is accounted one of the foremost theatrical producers in Germany, a country far more advanced in stage-craft than any other in the world.

Professor Ordynski is a Pole by birth and, though he has been one of Max Reinhardt's chief directors for a number of years, is still a young man. Before coming to Berlin to work with Reinhardt he was a professor of literature in various Polish schools. Several seasons ago he was chosen by the German director to come to America and stage the play of "Sumurun," which he produced so successfully in New York. Last year the opportunity of taking charge of two playhouses in Warsaw was offered him and he stayed for six months in that city, during which time he produced among other plays Bernard Shaw's "Androcles and the Lion." During a brief vacation from his work war was declared and he decided to come to America. As the time was not propitious for making new productions in New York, he accepted the Dramatic Club's offer to come to Cambridge and has been directing its rehearsals ever since.

Professor Ordynski considers America a country with unusual opportunity for growth and advancement in the theatrical line. "At the present time, however," he says, "there are not enough managers and producers in the United States with high ideals and a taste for dramatic art. The theatre of today is conducted in a way which suits the general public, but it leaves no room for the minority which may desire to see some other kind of play. There are, however, many excellently produced and acted plays. Several men and institutions, have done and are doing splendid work. Mr. Frohman, Mr. Belasco, Mr. Winthrop Ames and his New Theatre, in New York, and the Toy Theatre and Mr. John Craig in Boston are striking examples." Professor Ordynski also highly commends Professor Baker's 47 Workshop and the Dramatic Club as he feels that they are institutions striving seriously to accomplish something higher in dramatic art.

Just what Mr. Ordynski will do when he has completed his work in Cambridge is still undecided. He hopes, however, to produce Tchekoff's "The Cherry Orchard," at one of the Boston theatres and that done will probably find some production in New York on which he can develop his ideas and show the American theatre going public something of the true art of the stage.