FIRST STAGE PASSED BY NEW BILL

House Took Preparatory Step in Enactment of Red Flag Amendment.

The red flag bill advocated in the report of the committee on legal affairs at the State House last week went through the first stage of enactment into law successfully when it was passed to be engrossed or drawn up in final form preparatory to enacting, by the House Wednesday afternoon. This bill provides for the amendment of the present act. Section 2 is to be stricken out and a clause substituted which differentiates between red flags which may be carried and red flags which may not. The so called Allen Bill was defeated by a voice vote, and the bill to repeal the present law completely was defeated by a standing vote of 53 to 11.

Passage of a bill for engrossment is usually the most difficult step in the procedure, and the bill will now go to the Senate, where attempts will probable be made to substitute other bills. This, however, has little bearing on the University's interest in the case, for whatever change is made in the bill, so long as it is passed, the University will regain the right to carry the crimson banner in parades. If the bill is passed by the Senate it will be returned to the House for enactment, will go back to the Senate for enactment, and will finally go to the governor for approval.