HOME-MADE PLAYS OF FIRST RANK.

The plays of the Dramatic Club which will be given for the first time at an undergraduate night Tuesday, are of even greater interest than usual this year. Yet early returns from ticket sales indicate that undergraduates are not supporting them. Why?

The plays deserve support. They are amateur only in the fact that the club members stage, manage and act the plays without compensation. As examples of the modern drama, written and produced by students of it, they are much better dramatic investments than the conventional two-dollar play, of the modern box-office school. If they had lurid play bills to herald their coming; and a record of 300 nights on Broadway behind them, the theatre sheep would flock to see them and pronounce them capital.

But as home-made performances, they must overcome the prejudice against unpaid good acting. Those who scoff at the Dramatic Club, should give it a chance tomorrow night to prove what it can do. Those who came to hiss, will remain to applaud.

The three plays were chosen from among forty submitted by graduates and undergraduates of Harvard and Radcliffe. That the representatives of the latter institution were successful is but another indictment of Harvard apathy in the face of the best opportunities. When Harvard men take more interest in good drama, the plays presented by the Dramatic Club will be of masculine manufacture; but not till then. The plays are produced by Dr. Ordynski, a celebrated producer. What ever the attendance may be, they will be a success.