BACKWARDNESS IN TRACK.

The most casual examination of the University's record in track during the past few years will serve to show that something is radically wrong. Last year, its position in the Intercollegiate Meet was seventh, to which record may be added a defeat by Yale. Nor are prospects this year much more promising. The team has been crippled by the unexpected loss of several of its best men. Some of this can be laid to bad luck, but by no means all of it. Something is fundamentally wrong; something which only a radical change can correct.

An examination of existing conditions may perhaps be profitable. To begin with; in the field events for this year, there are little over a score of candidates, most of whom are Juniors and Seniors. In no other department of track is long and systematic training so necessary. Yet obviously not enough new men are appearing even to maintain the present standard, much less to improve it. Men forget that, given time and practice, it is always possible to build up candidates in this field to "H" dimensions. But at least two seasons are necessary in which to make any real advance. The same is true of the hurdles. One season must be devoted to fundamentals before any fast work can be attempted. Not so much time is necessary in the short and distance runs, although very often two or more seasons are required to develop successful runners. The main requisites of success are patience and perseverance.

In the main, existing conditions are not due to undergraduate indifference or laziness. They are rather to be attributed to a general ignorance of the actual conditions of track athletics. Men are too often unduly impressed with the ability of older and more experienced contestants, failing to take into account the fact that they will graduate in a year or two or are often put out of the immediate running through probation or illness, as has been the case this year. In this way, many available men go out for the minor sports, leaving track without material. If there is a largo field competing much amusement can be derived from the daily practice, which assumes something of the nature of a meet in itself.

The larger share of the task of changing existing conditions falls upon the Freshman and Sophomore classes. Men can be developed, but the process takes time. In no other field is there so much assurance of return for time expended Results are certain, but patience and diligence are necessary to obtain them.