PASTEUR DEBATE ON MAY 14.

Subject This Year Concerns French Claims to Alsace-Lorraine.

The first trials of the annual debate for the Pasteur Modal will be held in Harvard 6 on Tuesday, May 14, at 7 o'clock.

This prize for debating was founded in 1898 by Baron Pierre de Coubertin in the form of a medal "to be awarded to the successful contestant in an annual debate on a subject drawn from contemporary French politics."

The subject this year is, "Resolved, That the French claims to Alsace-Lorraine are paramount." Candidates should come prepared to give a five-minute speech on either side of the question. All undergraduates are eligible. At the first trial twelve men will be retained. At the second trial five-minute speeches will also be given, five men being selected. At the final trial, fifteen-minute speeches will be allowed. A list of references bearing on the subject will be posted in lower Harvard this week.

The debates for the Pasteur Medal are usually held in the winter months. This year, due to the fact that the medal comes form France, the war has delayed the trials. The debate is carried on under the auspices of the French Department and the Harvard Debating Council. Professor C. H. C. Wright has charge of it this year.