URGED CO-OPERATION IN CITY GOVERNMENT

Mayor Curley Pointed Out Great Economics Possible in Local Administration.

In a lecture on "Municipal Government" last night, Mayor Curley showed how much standardization and particularly departmental co-operation were needed and how little they had progressed. We have made less advance in municipal administration than in any equally important economic matter.

The city debt is now one of our greatest problems. For the reduction of expenditure, city planning conferences were formed, but these soon outgrew their utility by accumulating such independ- ence that they caused over-expenditure. We now have an expert who makes surveys of various localities, and looks into their needs. Associated with this is the new principle of borrowing money only for permanent improvements. These two factors have, by centralizing our expenses, so materially decreased our borrowing that there have been but two loans necessary during the present administration.

Another of the most important economizing plans which has been recently put into effect is co-operation of departments in such a manner that like supplies are bought at competitive contractors' prices, thus accomplishing a saving of many thousands of dollars. For example, the eight thousand barrels of flour used for the hospitals are now bought in one contract, instead of in installments as formerly. On this item alone $30,000 is saved. We require more than this, however, we must get not only co-operation within the individual department, but co-operation of all the city departments collectively.

Another great possibility for economy is found in the fire system. In one year we spent $8,000,000. Much of this was due to carelessness, particularly in regard to the absence of proper equipment for dwelling houses, hotels, and apartments. Out of the 23 lives lost 22 were due to negligence. By co-operation in assuring proper equipment much fire loss can be avoided. By an increase in insurance rates and a refusal to insure property which had once taken fire from a careless cause, a large amount of damage could further be done away with, and thus a tremendous saving be accomplished