NEW QUARTERS NEEDED FOR SOCIAL SERVICE

Annual Report of Secretary Shows 400 Students in Work.--Officers for 1915-16.

At the last social service dinner in the Memorial Tower Room yesterday evening, L. A. Morgan '17, the retiring social esrvice secretary, in his annual report, oulined the steady growth of the work in the University, 400 students having taken part this year, and presaged need of a larger office, as the present facilities are now limited.

The social service committees and officers for next year were announced as follows: chairman, Westmore Willcox, Jr., '17, of Norfolk, Va.; secretary,, Walter Irving Tibbetts '17, of Dorchester; superintendents for districts: Randolph Randall Brown '17, of Utica, N. Y.; William Torrey Barker '17, of Cambridge; George Colket Caner '17, of Philadelphia, Pa.; Julian Langson Lathrop '18, of New Hope, Pa.; Charles Carroll Lund '16, of Boston; and Leslie Allen Morgan '17, of Potwin, Kan.; superintendent for juvenile court, Alan Grant Paine '17, of Spokane, Wash.; superintendent of home libraries, William Darrah Kelley, Jr., '17, of Chattanooga, Tenn.; superintendent of Prospect Union, James Coggeshall, Jr., '18, of Allston; superintendent of clothing collection, Henry Lamb Nash '16, of Newton; entertainment committee: George Paul Slade '17, of Providence, R. I., chairman; Graham Burt Blaine '17, of Taunton; Ralph Parkhurst Bridgman '18, of Roxbury; Ronald Martin Foster '17, of Brooklyn, N. Y.; Frank Fremont-Smith, Jr., '17, of Washington, D. C.; Charles Henry Hodges, Jr., '17, of Detroit, Mich.; Paul Lester Rabenold '16, of Wyomissing, Pa.

Complete Record for Year.

The report of the social service secretary follows:

"In reporting on the active social service work of the University for the past academic year, I shall deal less with actual achievements than with suggestions for the future derived from this year's experience.

"Before the opening of the College College year, in September, a letter was sent to every social service settlement in Boston. With this a blank was inclosed, asking for the detailed needs of the settlement. In this way we knew by the first of October about how many men would be needed for boys' clubs, athletic groups, debating, etc. The work of recruiting men began at once, and was practically continuous until Christmas.

"I would make one suggestion which I think has already been partly worked out by W. I. Tibbetts '17. That is, that every effort be made to retain the men at the settlements where they have been engaged during the past year. This will save a great deal of trouble for the social service secretary, and also will greatly help the settlements in getting their work under way for the fall, as that is the hardest time of the year for the head workers.

"For this reason, it is also important that all the energies of the social service committee be devoted to enlisting men for work during the first weeks of College, so that they may begin the year when the clubs are organized.

Students Willing to Serve.

"In my work last fall I was surprised at the willingness and often eagerness of men to do volunteer social service. It is very evident that what the University needs is not more advertisement of social service work, but more efficient administration. We could have enlisted 600 instead of 300 men before Christmas if we had time to put in four hours each morning interviewing. The social service work here has outgrown the present accommodations. The time is not far distant when a permanent graduate social service secretary will be necessary.

"The work of investigating the settlements, reporting their needs, and the progress or failure of our men was most efficiently taken care of by the committee of superintendents. Excellent reports were handed in, covering every settlement with which we deal. These reports gave not only the list of men whom we had enlisted at the settlements, but also all others doing social service in any way connected with the University. In most cases a very helpful criticism of the way in which the work of the club was administered was given also.

Committee Aid in Work.

"The work of the social service secretary can be marred or greatly improved by the work of this committee, and I have only one suggestion for improvement on the work of his year's group of superintendents, namely, that each superintendent be made responsible for the entire report from his group of settlements, thus relieving the chairman of an unnecessary amount of work, and also that these reports be handed to the social service secertary on certain specified dates. Perhaps the first of November would be the best date for the first report of the superintendents, as that would give the social service secretary very important information and help in his campaign of enlisting volunteers.

Collections Broke Records.

"The next activity of the social service committee was the old clothes collection. This year it has been in charge of H. L. Nash '16 and R. Mead '15, and the work has been very well done, as the record breaking collections of the year testify. This work, however, is too big for one or two men to handle. There should be one responsible individual chairman of a committee of say five or six men. Each of these men should be responsible for the collectors and collection in certain specified dormitories. It is unfair to compel one man to give up two or three whole afternoons to this work when it could be done just as well by dividing it among a number. Perhaps a larger collection would be obtained by having more men responsible.

"Owing to the Freshman dormitories, a separate collection was taken there in the fall, but the spring collection was much more successful, when the collec-