SECOND MEDICAL UNIT PLANNED

Johns Hopkins and Columbia Will Co-operate With University.

Plans for the second University medical unit, begun at the request of Sir William Osler of Oxford, England, have assumed a definite shape and if international conditions continue as at present the unit will sail sometime between June 1 and 15. It has been announced that a staff of 32 surgeons and not less than 75 experienced nurses will leave Boston at that time for service in a base hospital for British wounded in England and in France.

The medical schools of Johns Hopkins and Columbia are involved in the same enterprise. Instead of uniting in a common staff for six months' service, each of the schools is planning to furnish a unit for two months. The first period is allotted to the University.

Dr. E. H. Nichols '86 in Charge.

The organization of the University unit is in the hands of Dr. E. H. Nichols '86 of the Boston City Hospital, who is also in charge of the University athletic teams. Wr. W. E. Faulkner '87 and Dr. C. A. Porter '88 are among the first recruits. Many other surgeons of recognized standing and, a large number of nurses have made application for service.

The doctors will have "relative rank" of officers in the British army, but will not enlist or receive commissions. Their pay, and that of the nurses, will be the "war pay" of their ranks, ranging downward, for the surgeons, from majors to subalterns. The University is expected to provide the supplies and instruments, so that immediately upon arrival the unit will be ready for work.

Until the final arrangements are made there must, in the present state of affairs, be some uncertainty that the project will be accomplished; but those in charge of it are practically sure that they will carry it through.