GROCERY DEPARTMENTS ON TRIAL

Business School is Compiling Economical Statistics.

The University Bureau of Business Research, an important branch of the Graduate School of Business Administration has recently begun a research into the retail grocery trade of the United States, somewhat similar to the successful research into the shoe retailers trade, which is now practically completed. The object of the researches is to learn the facts in regard to carrying on these businesses as a basis for instruction in some of the Business School courses, but in addition to supplying this information, the researches have been very valuable in aiding the retailers themselves, and have brought out many facts which throw light on some of their more perplexing questions.

Dealers Enthusiastic.

In the shoe trade research, conducted under Professor S. O. Martin, an accounting system was arranged and sent out to the retailers, which was later adopted officially as the standard for the trade. Dr. M. T. Copeland, who is conducting the grocery research has consequently got out a grocery accounting system which is being taken up by the retailers even more enthusiastically than the shoe system. It is hoped that it will be adopted as the trade standard in the near future, as over 2,100 copies have been sent out and the Bureau now has 275 co-operators who send in their returns regularly. The blank which is sent out contains a long list of questions to be answered as to the stock, the profit from each article, the expenses of delivery, number of helpers, and so forth. The co-operator answers these questions faithfully and then mails them back to the Bureau. The figures are next compared with the averages of the other accounts, and it is possible to ascertain the developments in which the individual retailer is making or is losing money. The Bureau will then communicate with the retailer, and advise him just what improvements he should make by showing him in what branches he is falling below the standard of the trade. A great deal of help has been given to retailers in this manner, and the Bureau has received many letters of gratitude for service of this sort. On its side the Bureau is gaining valuable information for the use of the Business School courses in marketing. This study, moreover, is pioneer work for the Harvard School; there has been very little scientific study of the problems of distribution in the past.

Picked Men to Investigate.

About the first of June a group of picked men from the Business School will leave to make some personal investigations in western towns and cities. Their expenses will be paid by the School, and their returns will be averaged with the others which have been received through the mail. The personal connection, however, which they will establish with some retailers will be valuable experience for them, and will put the figures which have already been gathered on an even sounder basis.