WHY NOT CHAPEL AT 10.45?

The Wisdom of compulsory chapel is debatable. To require that every undergraduate be present at the morning services in Appleton Chapel would be directly contrary to all the principles of freedom and self-responsibility commonly associated with the name of the University; but liberal as that policy is, an arrangement would be desirable whereby more members of the University could be induced to attend.

As an amendment to the plan for an earlier beginning of the day, advocated in yesterday's CRIMSON, it is suggested that classes begin at 7.45 and end fifteen minutes before the hour up to 10.45, chapel to be held in the fifteen minutes between that hour and 11 o'clock. The time seems ideal, coming as it does in the middle of the morning session when more men would undoubtedly believe they could sacrifice the quarter of an hour than in the hurrying minutes before 9 o'clock.

That too few members of the undergraduate body are willing to give the chapel exercises a fair trial seems to be the great difficulty at present. If chapel must be made "attractive" with particular reference to the hour at which it is held, then make it attractive, if in so doing students can be brought to realize its value.