TENNIS TEAM ENDED SEASON WITH DECISIVE VICTORY

Defeated Yale in Eight Out of Nine Matches.--1918 Lost in Contest at New Haven.

The University Tennis team showed its real strength by defeating Yale, 8 matches to 1 on the courts of the Longwood Cricket Club on Saturday. As both teams had lost to Cornell and Princeton, a closer match had been expected. The University players exhibited fine form, however, and the only match which counted for Yale was won by M. Burnham over L. Curtis, 2d, '16.

The hardest battles were in the doubles all of which went to three sets. Williams and Caner lost their first set to Stoddart and Cunningham, 4 to 6, but then steadied down and took the next two sets by the same score.

The summary:

Singles.--R. N. Williams, 2d, '16, defeated R. S. Stoddart, 6-1, 6-2; G. C. Caner '17 defeated W. W. Cunningham, 6-2, 6-1; W. Rand 3d, '17, defeated E. Tilton, 6-0, 3-6, 6-4; M. Burnham defeated L. Curtis, 2d, '16, 7-5, 9-7; A. F. Doty '16 defeated T. Hapgood, 7-5, 6-2; J. S. Brown, Jr., '17, defeated S. G. Kelley, 10-8, 0-6, 6-2.

Doubles.--R. N. Williams, 2d, '16 and G. C. Caner '17, defeated R. S. Stoddart and W. W. Cunningham, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4; W. Rand, 3d, '17 and A. F. Doty '16, defeated E. Tilton and S. G. Kelley, 6-4, 2-6, 8-6; J. Wooldredge '16 and W. W. Mansfield '15, defeated T. A. Leighton and J. F. Tronstine, 1-6, 6-2, 6-1.

Yale Freshmen Won, 7 to 2.

The Freshman tennis team lost to Yale at New Haven on Saturday by the score of 7 matches to 2. Captain H. Talcott '18 and E. B. Benedict '18 won their matches in the singles, the former taking his in straight sets.

E. B. Benjamin '18 gave J. Weber, the Chicago interscholastic champion a hard match, but lost, 9 to 7 and 7 to 5.

The summary:

Singles.--J. Weber defeated E. B. Benjamin '18, 9-7, 7-5; Wainwright defeated D. K. Dunmore '18, 6-0, 6-3; H. Talcott '18, defeated M. De Camp, 6-4, 6-4; T. Robinson defeated L. E. Green '18, 6-2, 6-3; H. Hammet defeated R. C. Cooke, 6-3, 6-4; E. B. Benedict '18 defeated P. Donchian, 6-3, 2-6, 6-3.

Doubles.--Weber and Wainwright defeated Benjamin '18 and Talcott '18, 6-3, 6-3; De Camp and Robinson defeated Dunmore '18 and Cooke '18, 6-3, 6-2; Hammet and Donchian defeated Benedict '18 and Green '18, 6-2, 6-2.