EASTERN TRY-OUTS IN STADIUM

Preliminaries for A. A. U. Games Will Be Held on Saturday.

The Stadium will be the scene of one of the most important track meets of the year next Saturday, June 26, when the eastern try-outs of the A. A. U. will be held, and in which three members of the University will compete. Three weeks later the central trials will be held in Chicago. The winners of the events in these meets, together with any other athlete of prominence will be sent to the national A. A. U. championships at San Francisco, August 6 and 7.

As a result of next Saturday's games, 25 men will be picked; 25 will also be chosen from the Chicago games, 5 from the south and 5 from the northwest. The best of the college and club athletes of the country are expected to compete in the various try-outs. Three members of the University are planning to enter the trials on Soldiers Field. J. O. Johnstone '16 will compete in the high jump, opposed by his intercollegiate rivals W. M. Oler, of Yale and A. Richards, of Cornell. E. A. Teschner '17 will enter both dash events. W. A. Meanix '17, holder of the A. A. U. 440-yard hurdle record will again compete in this event as well as in the high and low hurdles.

Nineteen Events on Program.

The usual 19 events on the A. A. U. schedule will be held, those events not used in intercollegiate competition being the 440-yard hurdle, 5-mile run, throwing the javelin, hop, step and jump, discus throw, and 56-pound weight throw. Several noted athletes will take part in the eastern trials. In the half-mile there will be J. E. Meredith, of Pennsylvania and H. Baker, of the N. Y. A. C., who won that event last year and who has covered the distance in 1 minute, 55 seconds this year. Other star performers in the runs will be Kiviat, of the Irish-American A. C., in the mile, and H. Kohlemainen in the 5-mile event. In the field events there will be several Olympic point-winners, including P. J. McDonald, P. Ryan and M. J. McGrath, of the Irish-American A. C., and M. S. Wright, of Dartmouth.

Keen Competition With West.

One of the features of the games in August will be the east vs. west competition. The recent western conference meet resulted some remarkable records, the eastern marks being beaten in seven events. Ward, of Chicago, has done the 100-yard dash in 9 4-5 seconds, and the 220 in 21 3-5 seconds. In the high hurdles, there will be the world's record holder, Kelley, of the University of Southern California. Simpson, of Missouri, however, has made 15 seconds flat this year. Other stars of the west are Campbell, of Chicago, in the half-mile, Myers, of De Pauw in the mile, and Stiles, of Wisconsin in the broad jump, all of whom have bettered eastern marks in their specialties.