PRINCETON BLANKED BY MAHAN

UNIVERSITY STILL LEADER IN TRIANGULAR LEAGUE SERIES.

Princeton's championship hopes went by the board on Soldiers Field Saturday afternoon. Mahan was in the box for the University, and holding the visitors to four scattered hits, shut them out 3 to 0. Except for a bad throw of Hardwick's in the eighth, the support given him was perfect, Deyo, the Princeton twirler was likewise in good form, but at critical moments the defence behind him weakened. Two of the University's runs were gifts of Princeton errors.

The first inning passed without event. In the second, with Princeton retired on infield plays, Gannett started off with a single to right. He was sacrificed to second by Harte, and crossed the plate when Gill took Hardwick's slow one and bowled the ball on the ground to right field.

Princeton had a good chance to score in the third. After Deyo drew his second pass, and went to third on Gill's single through second, Gill reaching second on Gannett's throw to Hardwick. Scully hit to Mahan, who nipped Hanks at the plate while Gill was taking third. With Captain Greene up, Scully raced toward second, but as Gill started home, Abbot took the throw in short field and returned it to Harte in time to prevent the run. This was the only time that Mahan's shut-out was seriously in danger.

After Reed had taken the count in the last of the third, Abbot opened up the University's attack in a most impressive manner. After looking over a few of Deyo's offerings, he picked one to his liking and slammed a liner to left, and as Hanks made the mistake of trying to get it on the fly, the ball kept rolling toward the Charles while Abbot completed the circuit. Deyo then settled down and the next five University players failed to see first. Brickley broke the charm with a single over second in the fifth, but action of a run-getting variety was delayed until the next inning.

Frye singled, Nash struck out, and Gannett doubled. This would only have filled the last two sacks, but Greene, in trying to catch Gannett, made a bad heave to second and allowed Frye to score. One more hit by Mahan in the seventh ended the University's aggression, while for Princeton only two more men reached second.

Highly Successful Week Ended.

The past week was by far the best of the University baseball season to date. First, the two-game series with Brown was evened up by an 11 to 10 victory at Providence. Then Williams, with Brown the victor over both Yale and Princeton, was shut out in a no-hit game by a 4 to 0 score, and finally, came Saturday's defeat for Princeton. All three teams were in the running for the intercollegiate title, and the University's way to that honor has now been greatly cleared. The coming contests with the Calumet Club and the Pilgrims will have no bearing on the matter, and as Pennsylvania was defeated by Yale on Saturday, a possible failure to come through at Philadelphia on June 12 will have little significance. Cornell, West Point, Georgetown, Columbia, Holy Cross, and Dartmouth have all been downed in important games, and the title to the eastern intercollegiate baseball championship therefore rests between Harvard and Yale.

The summary:

HARVARD.a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Abbot, 2b.,  4  1  1  3  1  0Frye, c.f.,  4  1  1  2  0  0Nash, 1b.,  4  0  0  7  0  0Gannett, r.f.,  4  1  2  2  0  0Harte, c.,  3  0  0  8  1  0Hardwick, 8b.,  3  0  0  1  1  1Brickley, l.f.,  3  0  1  3  0  0Mahan, p.,  2  0  1  1  3  0Reed, s.s.,  3  0  0  0  5  0  -  -  -  -  -  -Totals,  30  3  6  27  11  1PRINCETON.a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Hanks, l.f.,  2  0  0  3  0  0Gill, 3b.,  4  0  1  0  1  1Scully, 2b.,  4  0  0  0  4  0Greene, r.f.,  4  0  1  0  0  1Driggs, c.f.,  4  0  1  3  0  0Douglas, 1b.,  4  0  1  13  0  0Kelleher, c.,  2  0  0  3  0  0Law, s.s.,  2  0  0  2  1  1Deyo, p.,  3  0  0  0  6  0  -  -  -  -  -  -Totals,  29  0  4  24  12