UNIVERSITY WON TENNIS HONORS

Singles and Doubles Titles Taken at Philadelphia.--Other Results.

The University tennis team scored a complete triumph in the intercollegiate matches held at Philadelphia last week. R. N. Williams '16 defeated L. Beekman, of Princeton in the final round and regained the individual title he lost last year. Williams paired with R. Harte '17 repeated the doubles victory of last year by defeating their team-mates, G. C. Caner '17 and L. Curtis '16, in the final round of the doubles. These victories bring the University point total to five, seven being necessary to gain possession of the cup. Princeton has one point to its credit.

The four University entrants in the singles, Captain R. N. Williams '16, G. C. Caner '17, J. S. Pfaffman '16, and W. Rand, 3d, '17 came through the first round undefeated. In the second round Pfaffman lost to Beekman, the other three being victorious. Caner met defeat at the hands of Williams, while Rand lost to Beekman in the third round. The two doubles teams had little difficulty in winning their way to the final round.

Results of Other Tournaments.

R. N. Williams, 2d, '16, of Boston and W. M. Washburn of New York won the eastern doubles lawn tennis championship at the Longwood Cricket Club on July 31, when they defeated I. C. Wright of Boston and W. F. Johnson of Philadelphia, 3-6, 8-6, 6-3, 6-4, in the final round of the championship match.

In the singles matches played a few days later, however, Williams lost to M. E. McLoughlin of San Francisco. Williams came through the preliminaries with flying colors, and by defeating N. W. Niles of Boston, 2-6, 6-1, 6-0, 6-1, in the semi-finals, qualified.

On August 21, however, in the final round of the Casino singles tournament at Newport, Williams came back again. Having defeated C. J. Griffin of San Francisco in three straight sets the day before, Williams met McLoughlin in the final round, and had no difficulty in winning from him, although the loss of one set carried the match into four sets.

In the thirty-fifth annual championship tournament of the National Lawn Tennis Association held at Forest Hills, New York, during the first week of September, Williams again climbed into the semi-final round by defeating W. Rand, 3d, '17, 8-6, 7-5, 6-1, in a very close match in the fifth round. Williams was not up to his usual form, Rand forcing him to two deuce sets, and carrying the play far beyond what had been expected. In the semi-final round played the next day, Williams was defeated in a sensational five-set match by W. M. Johnston of San Francisco, 5-7, 6-4, 5-7, 6-2, 6-2.