RESULTS OF BOARD MEETING

Appointments Announced by Overseers, President and Fellows Report Gifts of $43,987.64.

At a meeting of the Board of Overseers held on Monday, the following appointments were made: William James Cunningham, Professor of Transportation; Oakes Ames '98, Assistant Professor of Botany; Robert Howard Lord '06, Assistant Professor of History; Dunham Jackson '08, Assistant Professor of Mathematics; Roy Kenneth Hack, Instructor in Greek and Latin; John Warren '96, a member of the Administrative Board of the Graduate School of Medicine for 1915-16.

It was voted, on recommendation of the Faculty of Divinity, with the approval of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, in so far as their courses are concerned, that for the academic year 1916-1917, Graduate Students in Newton Theological Institution and students in the Senior Class who are already Bachelors of Arts, who have attained an average grade of not less than 85 per cent. during the preceding year in the school, may with the approval of both faculties register in the Divinity School, and take, without charge, a maximum of two courses in the University as part of their year's work in Newton Theological Institution; it being understood that this agreement does not oblige an instructor to give any course which would not be given were it not for students in Newton Theological Institution.

Voting Rules Amended.

Acting under the authority conferred by the Act of 1902, the President and Fellows of November 29, 1915, and the Board of Overseers on January 10, 1916, adopted the following vote:

"That the recipients of all degrees heretofore and hereafter granted by Harvard College, other than the recipients of the degree of Bachelor of Arts, Master of Arts, and Honorary degrees, whose rights are fixed by Chapter 173 of the Acts of 1865 as amended, shall be entitled to vote for Overseers to the same extent to which recipients of the degree of Bachelor of Arts may now so vote and under the same restrictions."

At a meeting of the President and Fellows, also held on Monday, the resignation of Frank Jason Smiley as Assistant in Botany and as Proctor was received and accepted.

The following appointments were made: Wallace Clement Sabine, Exchange Professor to France for 1916-17; Albert Abraham Shapira '10, Assistant in Anatomy; Samuel Eliot Morison '08, Instructor in History.

Leave of Absence for Prof. Francke.

Leave of absence was granted to Professor Kuno Francke for the Academic year 1916-1917, and to Assistant Professor Walter Fenno Dearborn for the first half of 1916-1917.

It was voted to establish a course in Military Medicine in the Graduate School of Medicine, and to appoint Major Weston Fetcival Chamberlain, M.D. '97, U. S. A., as Lecturer on Military Medicine for the balance of the year 1915-1916.

Gifts were reported to the amount of $43,987.84, of which the largest single items were $10,000 from the Estate of Mr. J. Arthur Beebe, for the general purpose of the University, and $10,000 from Francis W. Hunnewell '60 for the Collis P. Huntington Memorial Hospital Endowment Fund.