ACTIVITIES AT COLLEGES ARE NOW IN FULL SWING

Cornell Has Large Number in Military Course.--Yale Armory to be Ready Soon.

December 1 has been set as the date of completion of the Yale Armory. The new armory was planned last February to accommodate the four batteries of the Yale Battalion, but if the Battalion is to be disbanded it is intended to alter the new building so as to contain the headquarters and offices of the Reserve Officers' Training School, which will be established in place of the Battalion.

The new building will contain, in addition to numerous storage rooms and lecture halls, a drill hall 200 feet long which has a clear span of 100 feet, and a stable which will accommodate 120 horses. The armory is being constructed on Yale Field just west of the Bowl on ground furnished by the University, the entire cost of construction being covered by graduate contributions.

3,000 in Cornell "Army."

Through the extension of the work in military science nearly three thousand men will be under arms at Cornell this year. The recently adopted system for military instruction requires two years' drill of three hours each week of all entering students. Although the new armory, the largest in the United States, is not yet completed, the triweekly drills will be conducted throughout the winter if necessary in the old armory.

A large increase in the registration at Cornell has been announced by the Registrar's Office. Although the freshman class is smaller than last year, the total undergraduate enrolment on October 14 reached 4,764, which is an increase of more than 100 over last year. The decrease in the freshman registration is attributed to the delay in the opening of the University.

Yale Men in Coast Patrol.

Yale undergraduates are largely responsible for the formation of the First Aerial Coast Patrol of America which was organized in an effort to demonstrate the practicability of the coast defense plan of Admiral Robert E. Peary and John Hays Hammond, Jr. The patrol was organized early in July with 12 active members, ten of whom were from Yale. The members of the patrol learned how to operate machines in a very short time and pleased the naval authorities by their services in connection with the manoevures of the Atlantic feet off Sandy Hook. They clearly demonstrated that submarines beneath eighteen feet of water could be discovered from a seaplane.

The coast defense plan which the patrol hopes to have established as a part of our preparedness program provides for dividing the Atlantic coast line into sections of convenient length, probably a hundred miles each, each section having a central station equipped with aeroplane hangars, repair stations, wireless stations, and observatories. These stations are to be used as bases for seaplanes which will patrol regular beats fifty miles out from shore. In this way the outer line of our coast defense will be extended fifty miles out into the Atlantic.

In recognition of the endeavors of the patrol, Rear Admiral Stirling, commander of the submarine flotilla, situated at New London, will co-operate the manoevures of the flotilla with the seaplanes of the coast patrol.

Yale will hold its annual fail regatta on the Housatonic river, November 17. Trial races will be held about the first of November and at that time all University, class and freshmen crews will compete for qualification in the regatta. Five crews, the three university and the two freshman will be chosen.

If the course proves satisfactory the annual triangular race between Yale, Cornell and Princeton may be held there in May. It is absolutely straight and the presence of a railroad line along the bank provides for observation.

Yale Eleven Escaped Injuries.

The Yale football team lost no men through injuries in the game with Lehigh last Saturday. Smith, the quarterback, received a slight bruise on the knee but will be at practice again very soon. In preparing for the coming game with Virginia Polytechnic Institute next Friday, there are only two changes contemplated: C. Taft will probably be moved from centre to tackle and J. Callahan who began a month ago as centre but was forced to stop for a while on account of an injury, will take centre again. Not much is known of the Virginia Polytechnic team, but a rather easy game is expected.

The work for Princeton this week will consist in improving the backfield. In Saturday's game with Tufts, the Princeton line was unusually strong. Again and again, it would break through and stop the Tufts' backs before they got well started. But on the offense, Princeton failed. The tendency toward fumbling and inability to play hard football when a few yards would mean a touchdown were the main faults.

The sporting editor of the New York Sun thinks that "Cornell to date has put forward a scoring machine every bit as wonderful as that which carried them to the eastern title last year." No serious injuries resulted in the Williams game so that Cornell will have its full team to meet Bucknell next Saturday.

Dartmouth Faculty for Wilson.

The results of the presidential straw ballot held among the faculty and undergraduates of Dartmouth by The Dartmouth, the undergraduate newspaper show that the two bodies were exactly opposed in their opinions of the presidential candidates. The faculty and officers of administration gave Wilson 64 per cent. and Hughes 36 per cent. of their votes, while the undergraduates gave Hughes the lead with 64 per cent to Wilson's 36 per cent. Hughes was supported by the officers of administration, but the faculty members of the departments of social sciences were solid for Wilson. The interest in the straw ballot was not as great as expected, for only about half of the faculty and undergraduates voted.