VALUE OF HIGH SCHOLARSHIP

Many editorial writers of college magazines and daily papers have discussed the contention of President Foster of Reed College that high marks in college courses are closely related with successful careers after graduation. President Foster has compiled a sufficient mass of statistics from the records of over a 100 colleges to prove that scholastic honors lead to achievement in the outside world, if mere statistics are to be regarded as conclusive proof.

The Boston Transcript disagrees with the verdict of such figures and considers the assertion "that the attainment of high grades in collegiate studies is normally necessary to the attainment of success in life" an absurdity. In order to expose the absurdity of this view the Transcript cites the classic example of Generals Grant and Lee in the Civil War. The latter attained the highest rank at West Point, while Grant was satisfied with "a gentleman's standard," yet in their later careers the advantage appears to have been reversed. Upon careful investigation and reference to impartial authorities, Lee, fighting for a lost cause and laboring under every disadvantage, must be considered equal, if not superior, to victorious Grant in the principles of military strategy and leadership. Therefore, on second thought, their example in reality supports President Foster's statement.

One of the strongest arguments to arouse the mediocre student who regards athletics as his only college interest is contained in a paragraph from President Foster's article: "So difficult is it for a student to change his habits of life after the crucial years (of college that not one man in twenty) years--not one man in twenty years--who was satisfied in Harvard College with grades of 'C' and lower gained distinction in the studies of the Harvard Law School." In this lies the kernel of the entire discussion concerning the value of high scholarship. The number of "A's" or "B's" a man gets are of no earthly use in themselves but the acquirement by the student of the habit of concentrated work which resulted in the high grades is the valuable asset. Every man who graduates from college with honors must have learned the best method of accomplishing mental tasks thoroughly, and it is this training that assures his success in after life. Some learn the lesson of close mental application to particular problems without the aid of a college education, but the fact remains that self-made men possess this all-important faculty. If statistics show that a greater percentage of honor men among college graduates acquire the secret of success, which is synonomous with the habit of concentrated work, then the odds are against the class of undergraduates who consider outside activities of more importance than high grades.

President Foster has published convincing statistics. High scholarship in the majority of cases means success after graduation. How long will the undergraduate look through dark glasses?