Illustrated Real College Diary

By W. H. M. .

There is a wealth of timely articles and pictures in the Freshman Number of the Illustrated which makes it a fitting introduction to the College year, an attractive welcome to the Class of 1920. Starting with the cover, a line of "lambs" before the Bursar's lair, the number continues to give promise of a successful year for the University's youngest publication.

As football is just now uppermost in the minds of the undergraduate world, the article on "The Problems of the 1916 Defensive" is of primary interest. It is a sanely written account setting forth the prospects of this year's eleven in a way neither too pessimistic nor too full of early-season optimism. "En Route to Mexico," by Roger Batchelder '18, is the best of the two articles on the summer military expedition of "our boys," which with J. A. Goldthwait '17's. "With Battery A on the Border," forms a readable report of activities at the front. "Twilight Practice," by W. J. Littlefield '16, who persuaded the football management to adopt the Stadium lighting scheme, is another article of current interest.

For the rest, the photographs are uniformly excellent and provide a competent pictorial review of University activities during the summer and early fall. The editorials are adequate, but one cannot help feeling sorry for the unfulfilled prophecy that "Harvard will continue to lead in preparedness." Take it all in all, the Illustrated bids fair to fulfill its prospectus as "an illustrated diary of the college year."