WAR COURSE FOR ALL CLASSES

FACULTY PROVISIONALLY ADMITS FRESHMEN TO MILITARY SCIENCE 1.

At a meeting of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences yesterday afternoon, the Faculty recommended to the Corporation that this year there be no additional charge made for Military Science and Tactics 1, when it is taken as an additional course.

The Faculty also voted that this year with the special consent in each case of Captain Cordier and Professor Parker, Freshmen will be admitted to Military Science and Tactics 1. All Freshmen who desire to enroll in this course should apply for enrolment to Captain Cordier without delay at Weld 3.

Enrolment Now 217.

At present, 217 men have enrolled in the course, and it is hoped that the Freshmen and those men who were unable to enroll on account of the extra charge will bring the number up to 300. Owing to recent rulings, applicants can still be enrolled on petition to Professor Charles Pomeroy Parker.

Captain Cordier, in speaking of Military Science and Tactics 1, said: "There have been some misunderstandings as to the scope of the course in Military Science and Tactics 1. Certain students, apparently, have been under the impression that the three hours set aside each week would be the only requirements of the course. As a matter of fact, in addition to these three hours, covering lectures, section work and drill, considerable outside reading and study will be necessary. Students cannot expect to receive credit for a full course toward a degree without the application which Harvard normally requires for the successful completion of any course. So far as the course in Military Science and Tactics 1 is concerned, I shall exact, if practicable, the same standards."

Dropping Courses not Tolerated.

In an interview with a representative of the CRIMSON last night, Professor Charles Pomeroy Parker, chairman of the Committee on Electives, stated that, though heartily in favor of the Military course he was not in favor of anyone's dropping another course in order to take this one. "Although the fact that no additional fee is charged for taking Military Science and Tactics 1 may prove an incentive for electing this course at the expense of some other," said Professor Parker, "I shall not as a rule be disposed to admit anyone under such circumstances."