FRENCH FILMS IN UNION

OPEN TO UNIVERSITY

A. Platt Andrew, A.M., '95, Inspector General of the American Ambulance Field Service in France, will deliver a lecture on the service, illustrated by moving pictures, in the Living Room of the Union this evening at 8 o'clock. Dr. Andrew will be introduced by William Roscoe Thayer '81. The lecture is open to all members of the University.

No less than 110 graduates and students of the University have been enlisted in the ambulance service since the beginning of the war, a larger number than have enrolled from any other college in this country. Of this number about 15 have been decorated for bravery and gallantry. Stephen Galatti '10 is assistant inspector general of the service under Dr. Andrew.

There are at present seven sections serving with the French army and two others ready to go out as soon as the necessary drivers are obtained. One of these sections, commanded by Lovering Hill '10 who has been given a lieutenant's commission in the French army, has recently gone to Salonika after 18 months service in Alsace and in the Verdun region. A. B. Mason '08, Carleton Burr '13 and H. M. Luckley '10 are in command of units in the Verdun. Alsace and Somme sectors respectively.

The moving pictures show the work of these sections and the life of the soldier at the front. They picture the care of the wounded, not only the French but also the German prisoners, in all stages of the hard trip from the support trenches to the field hospital, for which care the Service has earned an enviable reputation. Over 750,000 wounded have been carried by the American ambulance drivers alone during the war.

Among the scenes to be shown are the review of the drivers and inspection of their cars by General Joffre, President Poincare, and the Crown Prince of Serbia; pictures of Victor Chapman '13 and Norman Prince '08, and other members of the Flying Corps; French films of the actual fighting zone, lent especially to the unit; and an open air performance of "Carmen" at the front.