UNIVERSITY VOTERS

In another column the president of the International Polity Club voices a complaint against and suggests a remedy for a state of affairs which has caused many dissatisfaction and has also been the occasion of some unpleasant litigation. He makes the excellent point that the choice of president is of equal concern to citizens of every state, and that it is obviously unreasonable to exclude intelligent voters because of an unavoidable change of residence. A few states allow the "post card vote" for the benefit of non-resident citizens. Either this system should be made universal or the Massachusetts legislature should allow eligible college voters to cast their ballots here. The first remedy is out of the question, but the second could probably be accomplished by means of energetic and carefully planned action. Should the officers of the political clubs in the University draw up a petition clearly defining the position and constitutional rights of undergraduate voters, and place it before the state legislature, some definite action might result. The fact that a large number of intelligent voters are without reason deprived of the most important right of citizenship under the present laws is a disgrace to the democratic ideals of the country.