YALE ELEVEN PUTTING IN BUSY WEEK, WHILE TIGERS TAKE REST AFTER STRENUOUS GAME WITH DARTMOUTH

Lawrence Perry Considers Cornell Not Up to Real Form Last Saturday--Ithacans Raising Fund to Make Big Improvements on Athletic Field. Yale Rowing Dates Announced.

Preparations are now being made in Eastern football camps for the big games of the year. New coaches are flocking into New Haven from all parts of the country. Yesterday's football mentors visiting the Yale fold included Foster Rockwell, head coach ten years ago. Jack Cates, one time end, and former Annapolis coach, has charge of the ends this fall while Rockwell will instruct the quarterbacks.

The Yale squad is being driven hard, for despite the stiff contest with Washington and Jefferson last Saturday, the first team was put through a long signal drill on Monday. Four of the injured players returned to the game yesterday, and took part in the practice. They were Braden, Callahan, Vorys and Carter. Braden will start as halfback against Colgate Saturday.

In the "Yale News" yesterday Sol Metzer, the Washington and Jefferson coach, said that Yale impressed him as remarkably strong in every department of football, except in defensive work and in the forward passing game. He stated that he believed Yale would meet the University and Princeton this year with a strong probability of victory in both games.

Princeton Defense Excellent.

The situation at Princeton shows the Tigers have a team which will put up a stiff fight against the University. Princeton gives the appearance of the team that is going to cling to its kicking game. Its defence is so good--and from all reports, the University will find Princeton a smarter team defensively than Cornell--that the other team will have to take chances of wearing out players by depending on the rushing game. The Tigers played no mediocre game against Dartmouth, and those who figure that Princeton must be weak because they failed to outplay the green, are wrong. Dartmouth has an exceptional team, and it was not a sign of weakness to be pushed hard for four quarters by such a team.

Since the strenuous contest with Dartmouth, Coach Rush has not been working his team so strenuously. Some of the players are still feeling the effects of the stiff battle they were compelled to wage against the big Green team, although no serious injuries were incurred.

Lawrence Perry, sporting editor of the New York Evening Post, said in commenting on the Cornell game of last Saturday, that Cornell was unquestionably a better team than she showed herself.

"Cornell must have come to the Stadium confident in her ability to advance through Shiverick's punting, and then score on her off-tackle plays. Shiverick was out-kicked by Horween, and his ends were a dead loss. Probably the end problem, which has existed at Cornell all fall, prevented her from doing much with a wide wing attack. She tried not more than three wide runs all day. All failed. But the Red and White's great failing was poor defensive diagnosis and wretched tackling. Harvard's backfield is extraordinary, but just at present the line between ends is much better on attack than on defence. The Crimson backs had a busy afternoon on secondary.

"The Harvard forwards were considerably befuddled by the hidden-ball plays, which Cornell had borrowed from Harvard, and frequently charged the wrong way. But, as pointed out above, the Ithacans were obliged to carry on their defensive line-breaking in their own territory. Harvard played her centre loose on defence, and this helped a lot. Cornell's centre had better have played similarly; but he didn't. Cornell is unquestionably a better team than she showed herself to be Saturday. She received a dose of genuine football class on Saturday, and it unsettled her. As for Harvard, any team that defeats her from now on need have no feeling that victory was won from an off-year outfit."

Yale Rowing Schedule Completed.

Yale's rowing program for the year has been announced by Coach Guy Nickalls, and contains two events this fall besides four scheduled races for next spring. The regular fall regatta will take place on Friday of this week on New Haven harbor, and a special race for the four university crews will be rowed on the Housatonic river November 11. This course is a new one, and will be given a trial for the first time.

The four spring races will include a Yale-Pennsylvania meeting on the Schuylkill, April 7; the Yale-Cornell-Princeton race, May 5; Yale's entry in the American Henley races on the Schuylkill, May 12; and the Yale-Harvard regatta on the Thames, June 22. In discussing the situation, Coach Guy Nickalls is quoted:

"It has been our endeavor this fall to find out if the university has on its rowing squad any stroke oars besides those who figured at New London last spring. Among the men tried for that position are Captain Cord Meyer, Vail, Enders, Wier, Soderstein, Harriman, Lawrence, Allen and Hyatt. The first three trial eights are at present stroked by Hyatt, Wier and Allen, who have shown the most promise up to date.

"The seat of a No. 7 is usually the most difficult in order, and Mead, Gamble and Converse have all been tried out with more or less success at this position. No. 6 may be filled by any of the three capable men rowing there these past three weeks, Meyer, Salyards or Page. With MacNaughton, Fox and Coleman temporarily off the squad, Atkins has probably shown the most promise at No. 5. Love-joy makes a fair four and for the three bow seats there are Harriman, Lawrence, Wooley, Vail, Ewing and others, all light men of more or less merit."

Cornell Improving Athletic Field.

The Cornell alumni are planning to raise $150,000 for certain additions to Alumni Field. The amount will be used to complete the baseball grounds, and to construct an administration building, containing crew rooms for winter practice, a training table, a caretaker's quarters and a covered board running track.

In order to raise this money the committee intends to secure from alumni subscriptions of one thousand dollars, each to be made payable only when the entire sum is raised. The amount will be turned over to the university so that construction can be started by June 1. 1917, and completed in time for the semicentennial celebration in 1918.

Large List of Awards at Columbia.

A list of prizes and travelling fellowships having a total value of $16,500 has been announced by Columbia University. The awards will be made at the commencement exercises next June. The list this year constitutes the most valuable award of scholarships ever made at Columbia for any one year. Nine prizes totaling $9,000, will be given in addition to five travelling fellowships of $1,500 each.