MILITARY UNITS NEED IMMEDIATE ESTABLISHMENT

This morning comes the news that Yale University has met the requirements of the War Department in regard to the Training Units and that the official order establishing units of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps at that institution will go into effect this mouth. The Yale Battalion, like the Harvard Regiment, is to be disbanded, but the work already done by its members will count toward a commission in the Reserve Corps. In addition the new course, which is to be under the direction of Colonel Danforth, U. S. A., former commander of the Yale Battalion, will count toward an academic degree.

With all the prestige of the Regiment last year and the enthusiasm of the members, together with the efforts. Which have been made this fall to make Military Science and Tactics 1 a success, it seems a pity that Harvard should not have been the first to establish these units. The men now enrolled in the course have, in many ways, made a personal sacrifice to do their part in maintaining the University's lead in the Preparedness movement. The delay in announcing the course made it impossible for many men who wished to enlist to rearrange their program of students, but in numerous instances they voluntarily took it as an extra course to help swell the enrolment, hoping that the University would be the first to have the training units established. Unfortunately this opportunity is now lost, but in fairness to the members of Military Science and Tactics 1 and to the University at large, every effort should be made by the College authorities to come to some agreement with the War Department whereby the establishment of the Reserve Officers' Training Units at Harvard will become a reality within the next month.