What College Men Know.

COMMENT

An examination in contemporary history similar to the one which produced such interesting and pathetic results a year ago, was given last week in the course in government 1 conducted by Professor Hormell. The course is comprised of freshman and sophomores, and the second year men came out just enough ahead to maintain their dignity and prove that one year had not been wasted.

Naturally there were some startling and amusing bits of information to be found in the papers. Senor Venizelos was credited with being a town in Mexico or Greece; Vance. McCormick was a famous Irish tenor and also a well-known war correspondent; honors for chief justice of the Supreme Court were divided between Messrs. Fuller, Hughes, Brandeis and Clark; Leonard Wood was called a pitcher on the Boston Red Sox; Mr. Gompers was accused of being a city in France or possibly South America; among the Maine senators were named Johnson, Burleigh, Hale, Fernald, Peters, McGillicuddy, Guernsey, and Cobb; Combles was called a town in France, also a place in Roumania; Thomas Mott Osborne was given the titles of ex-convict and novel writer; Bucharest was located on four continents, six countries in Europe and as a city on the mouth of a river in India; Mr. Marshall was named as a United States senator and the greatest justice of the Supreme Court; Mr. Lansing was an ambassador variously to England, France and Mexico; Ty Cobb, a freshman said, was an ex-governor of Maine; another called him "greatest baseball twirler living," also "stellar performer on Jack Combe's team"; Fernald was named governor of this state, and the chief executive of Massachusetts was stated as Call. Several said that Grey was premier of England and that Asquith was prime minister, rather overcrowding the office, as it were.

In general the examination was fairly satisfactory. Certainly it showed a considerable improvement over the similar test of last year. One man got a gross total of 12 points on his paper, three or four others received less than 20 and not a few had under 30. However, as the figures show, the class as a whole knew more than half of the questions which is not so bad in these days of sporting page literature. Bowdoin Orient.